Panorama of my town

Panorama of my town

Friday, August 29, 2008

Thank you Cousin Debbie (and Cousin Everett)

My life has been changed by this visit. I am sure that, as I talk to friends and family over the weeks to come, that my perspective on what happened to me this week will evolve, but as I write this I am clear on one thing; I witnessed history and leave here with a renewed commitment to public service.

I am packing and preparing to leave this village in God's sky and am actually a little sad to be going so soon. I have a few people to thank for making this possible to me.

Thank you to new and old friends. I have met wonderful people including a kindred spirit in a book/art store dealer in Lyons (Nick) and in Stan and Gayle Brooks with whom we watched Hilary speak. And you won't believe this one, but I also 'refound' my high school sweet heart (Randy Gietzen) living just down the hill in Nederland. All good people and who helped to make this trip special on so many levels. I saw so many wonderful people from Atlanta and every state of the union who were a moved as I and who shared a special moment with me. I talked and laughed with people I never saw before and will never see again but we bonded immediatly and so deeply over this common experience.

Thank you to all my friends and family who read my blog and commented, sent emails and text messages the entire time I was here, encouraging me and enliving me. Your energy and support was full of play and enthusiasm and so very appreciated.


Thank you to Miki, my mother, for encouraging me to keep this journal and for her tears, but mostly for the foundation upon which I stand that gives me the strength and courage to offer myself humbly for public service.

Thank you, finally, to my wonderful, smart, politically correct Cousin Debbie Colburn, There is NO ONE in the world I would have rather spent this week with – you are my hero. Keep up the great work you do in Denver serving the underserved. You have always been an inspiration to me and spending this time with you has been one of my greatest joys.

Home now. Back to reality. But with a renewed faith in our political system and a joy that will fill my heart as I work on Jim Martin’s campaign knowing that I too can make a difference.

Hugs and Kisses to you for reading this and for joining me on my sojourn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you next week and get a play by play review of all that happened!

Unknown said...

Hi Anna ~ A mutual friend of your Mom's (Yvonne) sent me your blog link several days before the Convention started. I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your daily posts - lots of insight and chuckles and an inside glimpse of that wonderful light of hope that seemed to be shining in Denver, illuminating the country far and wide as the rest of us watched our televisions in awe. Thanks so much!