Panorama of my town

Panorama of my town

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Open Letter to Dubose Porter

Open Letter to Dubose Porter


Mr. Porter, welcome and congratulations on your recent election to the State Democratic Party leadership.   I was born and raised in Atlanta, voted in my first election in 1980 as a Democrat (of course) and have worked for, and with, this Party to elect Democrats for over 30 years.  I am a Post Seat Holder and proud member of the Fulton County Dems.  I love my State.  I love my City.  I am a proud but disappointed Democrat.  As such, I’d like to ask a favor from you now that you are our new Party leader.   Please reach out to the people who opposed you in this recent election for Chair and find a way to ask for their support and collaboration.  Seal the divide in this Party’s leadership in Georgia and show that we can all stand as one House united.  Be humble.  Be inclusive.  Recognize that the elected Democratic leadership in Atlanta must play a big role in this State Party’s success.  Put a stop to the internal bickering and personal, ego-driven agendas that plague our Party and help us find one common voice.   I am confident you can do this.  I have faith in you, but it won’t be easy.    

It will mean you have to actually work harder at being Chair than you did at being a candidate for Chair.  It means you will have to stand up to the throngs who worked to get you elected and remind them that their divisive rhetoric must stop, for the good of us all.   Help us find a new voice; a kind, supportive voice.  Help us walk a new path; an inclusive and righteous path.  Help us forge a new vision; a long range, strategic and inclusive vision.   I know it’s a lot to ask.  If you will do this, then in exchange, I will work for you.  I will commit, I will raise money, I will renew my energy and my faith in this Party.  Please tell me now, can you do this for us?  Can you do this for Georgia?

5 comments:

Mike V ATL said...

Well stated, and with compassion. I hope he gets it, and I'm not referring to receiving your note!

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly and am confident that Chair Porter will work hard to be inclusive and to engage all Democrats.

That said, I hope this same request is going out to those that opposed Dubose Porter in the recent election.

As my mother used to say "the phone works two ways".

FannieMarie said...

Thank you. Unity among Democrats is crucial statewide. UNITY!

Anonymous said...

It needs to be said, "Cheaters never Prosper".

Anonymous said...

You say "It means you will have to stand up to the throngs who worked to get you elected and remind them that their divisive rhetoric must stop" Excuse me? I heard more nasty rumors from the Stoner team. I never heard any OTHER divisive rhetoric. I'm glad Dubose was elected. He will do fine.